Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wayne, Did You Hear This?

I don’t write about all my grandchildren. I think I should, but I don’t. So I probably haven’t written anything about Aaron until now. And it’s not that Aaron has had nothing to brag about before now. I mean, they all have plenty to brag about, because they’re all smart and good looking. How could they not be?


Aaron, Andrew and Michelle’s second of three sons. Younger brother of Jacob the genius. Older brother of Nick the handsome. Aaron is 11, a wiry little blond kid, kind of quiet, and cute as anything. This year he took second in the spelling bee, for one thing to brag about, and I have the picture to prove it. And he plays basketball on the school team and trombone in the school band.


But Sunday night in my kitchen Aaron did something remarkable, something that had/has all of his grown-up relatives—parents, grandmother, aunts, uncles—marveling. And, I must add, envious to forest green. Here it is.


His dad said, “Mom [that’s me], sing a note. Any note.”


“Okay,” I said, and then obliged by singing a note I thought to be E, maybe F.


Andrew said, “Aaron, what note is that?”


“Hmmm,” Aaron thought a second, and only a second, “E-flat.”


Andrew went into the living room and played an E-flat on the piano. Spot on, as they say.


The group response was a loud and heart-felt Wow!


Then, just to be sure this was no one-time happy accident, someone played a random note on the piano. Lola and I said, “C. Middle C.”


“No,” said Aaron. “B.” B it was.


Loud praise and wonder from the assembled group.


Then Andrew said, “Aaron, could you sing an A-flat?”


Aaron, “I could.” And he sang a note.


You already know. Spot on again.


So how come? We all want to know how come he can do that (and we can’t), because in this family perfect pitch, and that’s what it is, is a very big huge deal.


Andrew told me today, “I asked him how he does it, because I want to know.”


I said, “He doesn’t know how.”


Andrew, “That’s what he told me. He doesn’t know how, he just knows.”

3 comments:

michelangelo said...

i am the most jealous.

Wayne Schiess said...

That is awesome in the original, true meaning of the word.

Sarah said...

I don't know, I'm pretty jealous!