Monday, February 9, 2009

Misc.

1. So now there's Facebook. I'm not on it. I don't have 110 people from my past wanting to be my friend, providing me with their daily status report, forcing me to say, "It's too many already. I can't let this one in." I do not say Facebook is a bad thing. Some days a person could get a little egolift knowing 110 people feel friendly toward her. But there's only so much time in a day.

Most, maybe all, of my children and their spouses are Facebookers. Many of my grandchildren, too. And when I tell them my mother always said, "Fools' names, like fools' faces, are often seen in public places," it is in no way meant to disparage their Facebookishness.

Here's what I have learned about it. My children are protective of me--or of themselves. They do not want me to Facebook myself. They grumble about the number of people who turn up wanting to be friends. Okay, I say, no big deal. But then they turn to me and say, "Mom, you don't want to be on Facebook. You learn too much about people. Stuff you don't want to know." And the "you" is not only the generic "you." It's me.

I have been on Facebook, spent some few minutes there a time or a dozen. They have no worries. I will not "join."

2. I recommend a 20-minute nap. Even if you don't sleep, you get up able and willing to do the thing you earlier knew you should do but didn't want to and couldn't make yourself. Namely, treadmilling.* I suppose I must now confess that I've only tried this 20-minute nap thing once, today. Still . . .

3. Robert Schuman's Spring Symphony is good for treadmilling.*

4. It matters how tight you tie your shoe laces. A certain tight tightness may be fine for just walking around, doing stuff. But on the treadmill the leg with the really tight shoe lace begins to hurt before very many minutes have passed, hurt like a shin splint.

5. My grandson Patrick moved most of his stuff in here today. At least I think/hope it's most; the room is not huge. He'll live here for the rest of his senior year in high school because his mom and brothers are finally moving down to Nevada to join Jeff. I also met Keely (not sure of the spelling), Patrick's girl friend, and it is clear they like each other. They're quite cute. Patrick has learned to drive and will have his license this week, I think.

I have a few stipulations. I want him to find me when he gets home from school every day and tell me something of his day. I want him to keep the room orderly, to turn off lights, turn off the stove, and spend 15 minutes with me one evening a week reading a scripture or Ensign article. There are already rules in place--from his mother--about checking with me before bringing Keely here, to make sure I'm here, too.

I do not know about food, what kind, who's preparing it, etc.

*6. It's 2009. We can make verbs from nouns. Hence, treadmilling. It makes more sense than to say treading the mill, which I am not doing anyway when I'm on the treadmill, and it's more economical than to say getting on or walking on the treadmill.

7. Strange but true. You have never heard of something, like celiac disease. Then you hear of it and suddenly you hear of it a lot and meet people who have it or who know someone whose child has it and you wish you'd never heard of it.

No comments: